Families staying at the Ronald McDonald House often experience stress due to the illness or health status of their child. The Family Meal Program offers groups of volunteers the opportunity to extend needed support to these families by providing and preparing a meal at the House.
Family dinners are served at both of our Houses on Sunday through Thursday at 5:00 PM. Arrival time is 3:00 PM. At House A, groups provide food for 75 people and a group size of 9-15 volunteers is allowed. At House C, groups provide food for 25 people and a group size of 3-8 volunteers is allowed. The actual number of people attending a given meal varies greatly. However, whether the food is eaten at mealtime or as leftovers, it will be much appreciated. The average cost of providing dinner at House A is $350, depending on the menu. The average cost of providing dinner at House C is $150, depending on the menu.
Saturday brunch is served at House A only. Arrival time is 8:00 AM. Brunch is served at 9:30 AM. A group size of 6-15 volunteers is allowed. Service is planned for 50-60 people. With the limited preparation time, the menu should be relatively simple with an emphasis on continental-style brunch options.
Friday Night Pizza at House A—no cooking! Arrival time is 5:00 PM. Pizza is served at 6:00. Clean up is completed close to 7:30. No prior onsite orientation is required. Information for the lead will be provided by phone. Group size may range from 6-15 volunteers. Teens may participate however, there must be as many adults as teens in the group.
The group provides the following to serve 75 people:
- 25 large cooked pizzas delivered by the pizza restaurant to the House or picked up by the group
- individually packaged beverages (bottled water, juice boxes, soft drinks)
- dessert which requires no cutting or serving (cookies, cupcakes, ice cream bars)
Things to Consider:
- An onsite orientation attended by at least two members of the group is required for first-time groups (with the exception of Friday Night Pizza groups), and needs to be scheduled one or more weeks prior to the first meal. This is scheduled on an individual basis and lasts an hour.
- All food must be prepared onsite or purchased from a commercial vendor (store, deli, restaurant). No food preparation may take place in a home kitchen.
- Participants create their own group and supply the food. We are unable to provide the option of joining an existing group.
- This is an adult group opportunity. Teens may participate but the group must have as many or more adults than teens.
- Volunteers must be at least 13 years of age. Teens must have had chickenpox or been immunized for chickenpox.
- Meals are served buffet style.
- Our kitchen is equipped with the necessary equipment to prepare and serve your meal.
- Barbecue grills are available during summer months. They must be reserved in advance.
Food Quantity Chart
Meal Preparation Checklist House A
Scheduling Your Meal
Step 1: Find an open date on the calendar below that works for your group.
Step 2: Contact Eleanor Garrison, Activities Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org to request a date.
If your group is a first time group, include the following information:
- Name, phone number, and email address of the lead
- Is your group affiliated with a business or organization or is it personal (family/friends)
- Company name and business address if applicable, otherwise a personal address
- Group name that you would like used on our online calendar and House calendar
- If teens are participating, the ages and total number of teen volunteers in your group
- Total number of volunteers you expect to participate
Step 3: A confirmation email will be sent to acknowledge your meal date request and confirm the date is available and has been scheduled.
Step 4: For first time groups, schedule an onsite orientation meeting to take place at least one week prior to your scheduled meal. The meeting is scheduled on an individual basis, and takes an hour. At least two volunteers should attend. To schedule: contact Eleanor Garrison at email@example.com or at 206.838.0621.